Thursday, April 16, 2009

Spicy Prawn Curry



Being Anglo Indian I eat alot of curry, mainly because my folks cook it alot. Because curry is cooked soo often in my household my parents find no need to use a recipe to cook curry, they just put what ever ingredients into it (obviously basic curry ingredients, example chillie powder, cummin ect ect) because they know what spices would give of certain flavour. I have taken on this trait of theirs but I think I'm still learning. My mum till this day will tell me what my curry would be missing just from the taste.

So yesterday I cooked a spicy prawn curry. This recipe is very simple.



SPICY PRAWN CURRY

1 Kg Prawns in their shells (diced beef or chicken can be used instead)
1 Large Onion
1 Tsp Ginger
2 Tsp Garlic
2 Tsp Curry Powder
2 Tsp Turmeric
1 Tsp Chillie Powder (less or more depending on your taste)
1 Cup of water
200gr Canned tomato
1/2 Tsp Salt (or more according to taste)


1. Clean and devain Prawns (I prefer Prawns in their shells because they are more fresh then when buying them already cleaned).
2. Finely chop cleaned onion. Fry the onions in oil on a medium heat untill the onions become a golden colour.
3. Add ginger and Garlic to the onions and fry for about a minute or until the garlic starts popping in the oil.
4. Add curry powder, turmeric and chillie powder and fry for about a minute on a low heat, just so then the spices dont give of a raw taste. (also curry powder has most of the basic indian spices including turmeric, but I still added the turmeric for extra taste.)
5. Add the canned tomatoes and raise the heat to medium, and let it cook for about 5minutes.
6. Add the prawns, water, salt, stir and cover. Let it cook on a medium heat for 20minutes or untill the prawns are cooked (if using beef or chicken it will have to cook alot longer, maybe about 45minutes)


This dish can be served with either rice or bread garnished with corriander and if it is too spicy just eat it with some natural yoghart on the side.

2 comments:

  1. li blanche! Well written, simple and enjoyable, I liked the anecdote about the missing spice. u know ur stuff about curry. Hope to see more curry(this week yall) ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah - Spicy Prawn Curry. That's the ticket. That certainly is the ticket.

    In fact it looks like the most delicious ticket of all.

    ReplyDelete