Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sweet and Spicy Mango Chicken

As you may have guessed I love spicy food. When I went to America I went to this pub in Ohio where I had this saucy and spicy Mango flavoured chicken that was finger licking good. When I got back to australia for some reason I craved this chicken soo much that I tried to find a recipe for it on the internet but all I got was mango chicken curry.
Then one day it hit me, I could just taste the flavour in my mouth this sweet spicy mango flavour, a flavour very similar to mango chutney you can buy in a jar from local grocers. Mango Chutney is different to typcal indian chutneys, Indian chutneys are usually made up with grinded coconut whereas mango chutney is somewhat like a jam with a tangy flavour but is still considered indian.
So I put my theory to the test and the result was pretty close. My family absolutely loved it and my brother even said it was his now favourite dish.

SWEET AND SPICY MANGO CHICKEN





2 Kgs chicken (drummets or wings)
1 Tbsp cooking oil
1 Tsp garlic
Jar of mango chutney (I used 354g jar of sharwoods green label)
1 Tsp Chillie powder
1/2 Cup water


1. Wash chicken pieces and let it dry.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the chicken till slightly brown and fully cooked.
3. Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a plate covered in paper towl, so as to absorb the oil from the chicken.
4. There should be oil still in the pan where the chicken was frying, if not add a little bit to the pan and fry the garlic for about 1 min.
5. Add the mango chutney, chillie powder (add more or less according to taste) and water (add more or less depending on how thick the mango chutney is.
6. The sauce should now be watery. Let it cook on a low heat until the sauce starts to thicken.
7. Once the sauce is thick add the chicken andmix through.

When using chillie powder, taste the mango chutney first to see if it is spicy already, so it would not need any chillie powder. Some mango chutneys are just sweet and tangy wereas others are sweet, tangy and spicy, so depending on your taste then add chillie powder.

Also if you know a chutne yrecipe then just make you own mango chutney, it may produce a better taste.

1 comment:

  1. cant wait to try this, im loving ur blag and pics,
    sorry for the late reply.
    im gonna read ur other 2 posts tomorrow cause im so tired...

    ReplyDelete